All posts in Metal and Toxicology

Save your life test your iron level in your blood

Higher than optimum level can kill you, reduce to optimum level may save your life

Hemoglobin is inside red blood cell. Each red blood cell contains about 840 millions of hemoglobin, each hemoglobin consists of Iron and protein. Therefore iron is essential for human life because it can bind to oxygen and carry it throughout your tissues, as without proper oxygenation, your cells start dying.

If you have too little iron, you may experience fatigue. This is common in children and premenopausal women. But what many people fail to realize is that too much iron can be equally deadly, and is actually far more common than iron deficiency.

More

Toxic Food Supply “Daily Poison to ourselves”

Our Daily Poison

We exposed ourselves to materials foreign to our system. They are unwanted to our physiological systems as well as dangerous. Materials can be group into the three main categories.

  • Endocrine-disrupting chemicals like phthalates and bisphenol-A (BPA)
  • Agricultural chemicals
  • Artificial sweeteners like aspartame and other food additives

Interactions between chemicals that render the sum total more harmful than the risks associated with any given chemical in isolation.

In this article we will highlight the endocrine-disruptors or xeno-hormones. The other two groups of chemical will be covered in other series of articles. The main hormone disruptors or hormone mimicking chemicals are plastics or plasticizers, mainly ethylene in polyethylene of plastics. They are mainly estrogen mimicking chemical by disrupting the estrogen receptors(site for interaction between hormone and cell on the surface of a cell). Easily understandable effects are breast cancer, fibroid and breast lump (non-cancer growth) whereas in men associated with prostate problem including prostate cancer. Not only that, there are so many other manifestation of xeno-estrogen.

The effects on women are as follows:

More

Mercury Toxicity

Mercury Toxicity

Mercury in any form is poisonous. Mercury is a most dangerous heavy metal to human second only to uranium. In clinical practice very seldom toxic level of uranium detected but toxic level of mercury is very prevalent. Study on polar bear in north-pole indicates toxic level of mercury due to food chain through migratory birds that feeding on sea-food. Environmental exposure usually coming from sea-food especially fish and amalgam tooth filling. Three teeth filling with amalgam (contain 51% mercury), mercury in the stool generally detected forty times higher than allowable level by WHO.

Poisoning can result from mercury vapor inhalation, mercury ingestion, mercury injection, and absorption of mercury through the skin.

Mercury toxicity most commonly affecting the neurologic, gastrointestinal  and renal organ systems. Half-life of mercury in the brain is estimated to be about 25 years.

Heart muscle analysis in those who died of myocardial infarction usually contains five or more times higher mercury level than non-heart related death. In cardiomyopathy, the level of mercury in heart muscle can be higher by thousands of times. Breast cancer tissue generally much higher mercury level than in fibro-adenoma cases.

Virtually mercury can cause all kind of symptoms especially nerve and cognitive symptoms (but not all symptoms can be caused by mercury)

The most deadly form of mercury is methylmercury where 90% of any methylmercury ingested is absorbed into the bloodstream from the GastroIntestinal tract.

More