Mercury is biochemical disrupter and an under-recognized epidemic. Mercury, a known neurotoxin, binds to molecules, tissues and cells in the body and sets the stage for serious chronic disease. Main source of toxicity coming from dental filling amalgam although ignore by many dentist including the American Dental Association and the FDA. They downplay the adverse effect of amalgam (51% mercury). The World Health Organization notes that the typical absorbed dose from amalgams is 100 micrograms a day.
Second source of mercury is fish due to contamination of sea by burning of coal for electricity. Childhood exposure can be from vaccines as mercury is used as preservative and the form of mercury is ethyl-mercury, a dangerous form mercury.
Millions of people suffering with mercury poisoning and neurodevelopmental disorders. One of the most disturbing facts of mercury exposure is its association with neurological disorders, behavioral problems, autism spectrum disorder and mental illness. Mercury, which can destroy the protective myelin sheath that covers the nerves, is highly damaging to the neurological system. In fact, researchers report that autism is often accompanied by oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction and increased inflammation – all of which are consistent with mercury poisoning.
In addition, mercury exposure can cause deficiencies and imbalances of essential minerals such as zinc and copper, a condition associated with ADHD. Mercury exposure also interferes with the production and function of various neurotransmitters, including the “calming” body chemical GABA – thereby promoting the development of depression, anxiety and sleep disorders.
Mercury interferes with antioxidant defenses
Chronic mercury exposure also depletes nutrients in the body, promoting oxidative stress and interfering with antioxidant defenses.
Mercury’s ability to bind to sulfur and selenium causes it to severely limit the beneficial oxidation-fighting and cancer-fighting effects of these antioxidant minerals. This interferes with the immune system’s ability to identify cancerous cells, and triggering the development of autoimmune disease.
Mercury also binds to glutathione, the body’s premier antioxidant, which is designed to detoxify mercury and other heavy metals. In addition, mercury attacks the disulfide bonds in collagen, triggering arthritis and connective tissue disorders, while also damaging the cell mitochondria that synthesize energy.
Mercury Causes cardiovascular and digestive diseases
Mercury exposure contributes to heart disease by causing the oxidation of blood vessels and creating endothelial dysfunction. In one study of patients with heart failure, mercury levels in the myocardium, or middle layer of the heart wall, were found to be 22,000 times higher than normal.
Heart disease patient usually tested for mercury and when there is toxic level treatment with DMSA is the norms, without chelating for mercury soon heart disease will recur. This is due heart disease is dysfunction of mitochondria and mercury is known to disrupt energy production in mitochondria.
Mercury alters intestinal flora, increasing the presence of undesirable bacteria and pathogens such as Candida. Digestion is impaired. Mercury also increases the risk of food sensitivities, especially gluten and casein, and contributes to “leaky gut.”
As if this weren’t damaging enough, chronic exposure to mercury is linked with insulin resistance, hypoglycemic symptoms and metabolic syndrome – a constellation of high blood pressure, high blood sugar, excess abdominal fat and high triglyceride.
Individual Susceptibility to Mercury
Vulnerability to mercury depends on a variety of factors, including exposure and genetics. Over the last ten years, however, researchers have documented over a dozen common genetic variations that cause increased vulnerability to mercury toxicity related to lacking phase II liver detoxification.
Diagnosing mercury toxicity is not easy. Best test is testing mercury clearance in urine before and after DMPS challenge. Hair analysis is also used but the level can be fluctuate and at the time of hair sample taken may not be that high level whereas they are toxic level in tissues. Blood test is as good as useless and unreliable. Symptoms of mercury toxicity are common to many other illnesses, and may appear long after exposure.